Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pink Work Boots

We all know how challenging it can be to find a job in the public history field - yet alone one that pays the bills! For me taking on a part-time position with a garden center (who doesn't love flowers!?) was a great opportunity to work flexible hours and make a little extra cash. The other major bonus of the job is fresh air and exercise which I don't get sitting in my dark office all day at the museum. I was informed that for this position I would require a pair of work boots. This was a bit of a problem for me because of my love for high heels and looking pretty. My first instinct was to search online for something other than the tan boots I normally see around on men working at construction sites. It turns out, as I Googled "pink workboots", I was not the only hard working female labourer searching the Web for the same thing. My search results took me to Moxie Trades, a Canadian company considered home to the original pink work boot. Check out the company's development - it is an interesting story. Their pink Betsy work boot has not only given personality and style to an outdated boot, but has helped to make tradeswomen working in what was once a man's domain more visible.