Sunday, June 7, 2009

A New Do for VirtualMuseum.ca

Today I took some time to check out the new Virtual Museum of Canada's website which was just released. The site is a tool that not only links visitors to virtual exhibits - which if I recall, was the main feature of the last site - but to actual museums across the country, their websites and educational projects led by museums.

I wasn't able to get one of the new major features working called My VMC which involves creating your own museum space (but I see the site is still under construction). If you are interested in keeping track of what's going on or what's new in your local or favorite Canadian museums this will no doubt be a helpful resource. Another really useful feature was the Teachers' Centre which has a list of lesson plans and projects.

To be honest, I don't remember much about the old Virtual Museum website - I guess that says something! Hopefully this will be a much more useful and rich tool for the public as well as professionals to connect with their museums.

Check it out: http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/index-eng.jsp